cp roots

From: mark.fisher@tpwd.state.tx.us
Date: Mon May 26 1997 - 20:40:31 PDT

Date: Mon, 26 May 97 21:40:31 cst
From: mark.fisher@tpwd.state.tx.us
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: cp roots

     Hello all,

     As you already know, the roots of most non-wetland plants do not
     penetrate water-saturated soils because of oxygen deficiency--root
     tips are regions of rapid cell division and elongation and have a high
     oxygen requirement. Non-wetland plants will quickly die if they are
     kept in water-saturated soils for an extended period. For example, a
     tomato plant will die in a day or two after being in
     saturated/submerged soils.

     Most cp's are wetland plants and can live in water-saturated soils,
     but it is my understanding many will die if they are kept in
     waterlogged soils for an extended period. My question to everyone is:
     do some cp possess a means for delivering oxygen to their roots, like
     aquatic plants do (aerenchyma tissue?), or do they simply have a high
     tolerance for anoxic soils? If they do not have aerenchyma, then this
     implies they cannot survive in saturated soils in perpetuity and must
     spend at least part of they year with their roots above the water
     table. This would explain why they are usually found in semi-pocosin
     habitats.