Re: cp roots

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue May 27 1997 - 14:31:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 27 May 97 17:31 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: cp roots

> From: mark.fisher@TPWD.STATE.TX.US
>
> Most cp's are wetland plants and can live in water-saturated soils,
> but it is my understanding many will die if they are kept in
> waterlogged soils for an extended period. My question to everyone is:
> do some cp possess a means for delivering oxygen to their roots, like
> aquatic plants do (aerenchyma tissue?), or do they simply have a high
> tolerance for anoxic soils?

No. Sounds likely. Nepenthes, Darlingtonia and Heliamphora are
not tolerant - that's for sure.

> If they do not have aerenchyma, then this implies they cannot
> survive in saturated soils in perpetuity and must spend at least
> part of they year with their roots above the water table. This
> would explain why they are usually found in semi-pocosin habitats.

What plants do have this tissue? (Botanic names for non-CPs will not
be understood) I can't seem to think of any plants near where CP
grow that penetrate deeper than the trees (mostly pines) in bogs.
Where it's wettest they, die while the Sarracenia and Drosera tend
be right at the surface of the water and so can't be oxygen starved.

Thanks,
Dave Evans