Re: Will the Real Pinguicula lutea Please Stand Up?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 16:48:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 06 May 97 19:48 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Will the Real Pinguicula lutea Please Stand Up?

Hello Doug,

> The best was I could describe the P. lutea of 'yesteryear', is by
> saying that it looked like a "Giant: P. pumila with a huge yellow
> flower. P. pumila's do have yellow flowers in some populations, but
> do not get 15 cm across from tip to tip!

  Are you saying the plants that look like pumila with yellow flowers
would grow to this width? If so, then it really is P.lutea.

> Canada' and look at the picture of P. lutea on page 77 (in the hardbound
> edition), you will see the plant that was named and sold as P. lutea in
> the earlier years: very stiff, strongly reflexed leaves and almost shiny
> in appearance. What is sold as P. lutea today, is basically a yellowed
> flowerd P. caerulea. Huh? What happened to the species or variety that
> was originally offered during the days of CPN's inception?

It depends on the culture. I don't quite follow what you wrote, since
that is what *ALL* the species you mention can look like. They tend to
adopt this shape when the humidity is lower. In higher humidity, the
leaves become longer, more delicate and they don't hug the ground.

> It is not a simply confusion with the seasonal morphological changes in
> leaf structure, since I have watched several of 'New and Improved' P.
> luteas throughout a year and a half; it is a different plant altogether.
> I will pose the same question here to the group that I privately posted
> to the individuals who responded to my earlier question regarding
> general US Ping culture: Are there more than one variety of P. lutea;
> perhaps differences in morphology between plants found in the northern
> vs. southern range of it's habitat? Did the variety that was originally
> described and photographed by Schnell in his book that we used to order
> become extinct?

   It works like this: In the same conditions P.lutea and P.caerulea
look exactly the same, unless they are in flower. In fact, I have
almost alway found them growing together, so they like the same conditions.
P.pumila, I haven't seen with them, but I suppose it could handle the
same conditions, but I think it's leaves would adopt a shape different
from the other two species.

Dave Evans