Will the Real Pinguicula lutea Please Stand Up?

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 09:27:58 PDT

Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 09:27:58 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Will the Real Pinguicula lutea Please Stand Up?

Hi All,

First off, I'd like to say thanks for the overwhelming response I
received for my last post requesting help with North American
Pinguicula culture: Thanks again Paul and Bob.

Today's question: I've been growing CP for over 25 years and was one of
the original CPN subscribers. I used to order Pinguicula lutea very
frequently since I couldn't keep them alive for more than 6 months. The
plant that was sold as P. lutea back in the 70s and early 80s, is NOT
the plant that is sold as P. lutea today.The best was I could describe
the P. lutea of 'yesteryear', is by saying that it looked like a "Giant:
P. pumila with a huge yellow flower. P. pumila's do have yellow flowers
in some populations, but do not get 15 cm across from tip to tip! If
you have a copy of Schnell's book, 'Carnivorous Plants of the US and
Canada' and look at the picture of P. lutea on page 77 (in the hardbound
edition), you will see the plant that was named and sold as P. lutea in
the earlier years: very stiff, strongly reflexed leaves and almost shiny
in appearance. What is sold as P. lutea today, is basically a yellowed
flowerd P. caerulea. Huh? What happened to the species or variety that
was originally offered during the days of CPN's inception?

It is not a simply confusion with the seasonal morphological changes in
leaf structure, since I have watched several of 'New and Improved' P.
luteas throughout a year and a half; it is a different plant altogether.
I will pose the same question here to the group that I privately posted
to the individuals who responded to my earlier question regarding
general US Ping culture: Are there more than one variety of P. lutea;
perhaps differences in morphology between plants found in the northern
vs. southern range of it's habitat? Did the variety that was originally
described and photographed by Schnell in his book that we used to order
become extinct? Hopefully, maybe some of the other longtime cp growers
like myself will have some answers to this mystery. Since I live on the
west coast, where I can't visit the actual habitat of the species in
question, I have to rely upon east coast growers who might know the
answers. Any observations, theories, answers, more questions, personal
experiences, etc. would surely be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

All the Best,

Doug Burdic
dburdic@presys.com