Re: Acid Rain (And Re: Fluorescent lights)

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Fri Mar 28 1997 - 13:55:11 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:55:11 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Acid Rain (And Re: Fluorescent lights)

Hi Matthew,

> Now for my question on lights:
>
> I am interested in what people who grow CPs under fluorescents do about
> replacing light bulbs. The most recent issue of Organic Gardening
> magazine mentioned that, after a few months of use, the lights become
> much less bright. It never occurred to me to replace lights before
> they burn out (it seems expensive and environmentally wasteful), but
> I am concerned that the n. ventricosa and s. purpurea in my tank
> aren't getting enough light. Therefore, I am considered replacing the
> (still working) light bulbs. Is this foolish?
>

> Matthew Baggott, mbagg@itsa.ucsf.edu
> Research Associate, Drug Dependence Research Center
> University of California, San Francisco

        I think it has been suggested that if you have a two
tube fixture (which you should ;-)!), to replace one bulb every
six months. You can always use a light meter or camera with
built in light meter to see how many lumens are being produced.
If you're satisfied with the output, don't bother replacing the
bulbs.

        As for the waste and cost. The fluorescent bulbs usually
don't cost too much, usually about $6 at the most. Any more,
and I'd say you're wasting your money or getting ripped off ;-).
Actually, from what I've been told and from what I've read,
the more expensive plant bulbs are no better than the cheaper
plant bulbs that you can get virtually anywhere!

        There's no need to waste the unburnt but losing power
bulb. Set up another fixture in your place, for either low
light plants or even just a general lamp for reading, etc.
Stick in your older bulbs, and then don't worry about those ones
until they burn out, by that time, you should have replacements.

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology
University of Regina