CP hardiness.

From: Jeffrey Stein (lothar@pilot.msu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 16:29:19 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 19:29:19 -0500
From: Jeffrey Stein <lothar@pilot.msu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP hardiness.

I tried a little experiment this winter. I placed a VFT, a S. leucophylla,
and a S. minor outside in my bog with my S. purpurea purpurea. The area was
covered with a plastic "dome" composed of two of those basement window
coverings stapled back to back. The area is protected from the wind and is
near a natural gas heater exhaust port. The plants have ALL survived the
Michigan winter! The coldest temperature was well below freezing. I think
-5F. The Sarr's have both formed rudimentary flower stalks and the VFT is
sprouting a tiny little leaf. The weather here has been bouncing between
20F and 50F the last couple of weeks and was actually 'nice' today (=
people were wearing shorts).

Interesting stuff!

Of course the S. purpurea purpurea are all fine and dandy.

Jeff