Re: Acid water

From: James Aldridge (jaldr@onramp.net)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 16:41:55 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 00:41:55 GMT
From: jaldr@onramp.net (James Aldridge)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Acid water

> Acid rain is made that way from chemical pollutant emissions
>into the atmosphere. The main culprits, in the past at least, have
>been factories located around the great lakes area. Anyways, these
>pollutants are man-made, and definitely not natural. From what I
>remember, some of the pollutants can be carcinogenic or mutagenic,
>not really healthy for anything!

Well, there's always the argument that man, being an animal himself, is =
as
natural as any other beast. That aside, acid rain results in part from =
the
combustion of fossil fuels containing sulfur, the combustion of which (in=
 air)
produces sulfur oxides (primarily sulfur dioxide and sulfur trioxide). =
These
acidic anhydrides in turn react with water to lower pH. I don't think =
they're
outstanding carcinogens or mutagens, but the gases themselves are pretty =
toxic.
I doubt bog plants care much about them.

Jim

James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA
jaldr@onramp.net or aldrjame@tenet.edu
http://rampages.onramp.net/~jaldr