Re: Pinguicula villosa on Vancouver Island?

From: Juerg Steiger (steiger@iae.unibe.ch)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 00:13:57 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:13:57 +0100
From: steiger@iae.unibe.ch (Juerg Steiger)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicula villosa on Vancouver Island?

Hello Adolf

>I am puzzled by the map of distribution of Pinguicula villosa published
>by Hulten (1971) in his Circumpolar plants II (map 19). He shows this
>plant growing on Vancouver Island (British Columbia, Canada). Would
>somebody on this list know what was the source of this report?

Eric Hulten has personnally collected large amounts of plants in the
(sub)arctic regions of North America (incl. Aleutian isl.), Iceland,
Greenland, Scandinavia and Asia. He knew the tiny P. villosa very well and
published several distribution maps of this species. In Alaska/Canada P.
villosa can barely mixed up with another species and I think the Vancouver
recordings are reliable. In fact it is astonishing to find this species so
far south in relatively mild winter climate near sea level. The P. villosa
site in North Corea (thanks, Jan, for the reference), although even more
south, might have harder temperatures in winter.
On the other hand I have some doubts about the validity of Hultens'
taxonomy of the P. vulgaris/P. macroceras group in NW North America. On
Vancouver Island there are also several P. macroceras sites.

Is someone finds and could send me P. villosa and P. macroceras from
Vancouver Island I would be very grateful!

With kind regards Juerg

Juerg Steiger, Institut fuer Aus-, Weiter- und Fortbildung IAWF
University of Bern, Inselspital 37a, CH-3010 Bern, Switzerland
Office: +41 (0)31 632 9887 Fax: +41 (0)31 632 9871