Re: Fish flakes

From: Chris Marsden (Byway@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 01:10:48 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:10:48 -0500
From: Chris Marsden <Byway@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fish flakes

Hi All,

> In all the talk about fish flakes and miraculous results, I find myself a
> little suspicious - it is after all spring, and lots of plants are
> entering a quicker growth phase because of the longer daylight. Are
these
> plants growing in natural light or under artificial light?

Yep, that is one thought. Fish flakes are certainly no cure-all and they
don't give miraculous results in all but the best cases. However, my
Heliamphora nutans has just put up it's first adult leaf ever, the Nep
pitchers have doubled in size and each time I feed my D. adelae I get a
flower bud from every growing point. As the flower buds develop so quickly,
could it be that they are forming anyway, but do not enlarge until they
have enough food to grow? I may also add that this will only be successful
when combined with good growing conditions, and for the best results when
light levels and warmth levels have just increased.

> Nonetheless, I am not proud, and I admit that I am going to go home and
> drop some Tetra-Min on one of my Drosera proliferas. :) As if they need
> to proliferate any more....(Anyone in Seattle want some D. prolifera?)

Try it and see. If it doesn't work, don't try it again ;-)

Also, I have not seen flakes mould, maybe what people have seen is them
going soggy and gooey after they get wet. You /have/ got problems if they
have mould growing on them.

Oh, and Ken - well said.

Kindest Regards,

Toby