_Drosera filiformis_ complex

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 08:51:42 PST

Date:          Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:51:42
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       _Drosera filiformis_ complex

Dear Dave,

> Yes, but while it is formally named as _D.filiformis subsp.
> filiformis var. tracyi_, the reality of it is that tracyi *is* a
> subspecies as it looks different *and* can not grow where D.
> filiformis can, since it is nowhere near as hardy. Seems to be
> an even greater difference between these two Drosera than between
> the two subspecies of S.purpurea.

But in _Sarracenia purpurea_ a rather clear geographic distinction
exists. Although there is no real disjunction in the latter, we have
a +/- homogeneous northern population and a (somewhat less
homogeneous) southern population. An eastern/western separation seems
to exist between the varieties (so far not subspp.!) of _Drosera
filiformis_ with some overlap in Florida and Georgia. But the
distinction seems to be ecological rather than geographic. Therefore,
their staus does probably not need to be changed.

> I beleive the reasonning behind
> not giving the plant the names they ought have (...)

But they are given the names they ought have.

> that most everyone is *supposed to know* they are really
> subspecies.

Who *knows* that? Any evidence?

> (So don't formally name the subsp. =--> Goof Troop logic here,
> in my opinion)

This is *your* chance! Propose the new combination and you will once
overcome Goof Troop logic. But please check carefully if a new
combination is *really* necessary (doubts noted above) before you
publish anything.

> BTW, if there has been no published subspecies, why are they
> not called _D. filiformis_ and _D. filiformis var. tracyi_?

They *are* called like that. I do not understand this question.

Kind regards
Jan