Re: Re: tuberous Drosera

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 18 1997 - 16:04:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 18 Mar 97 19:04 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: tuberous Drosera

> From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@BRUNT.DEMON.CO.UK>
>
> > I have a few tubers and I heard that you can keep some species
> > growing all year, if they're kept moist. Right now, mine mine are in dry
> > media.
>
> Where in the world are you? aol.com has become meaningless these days
> - they can be from anywhere. My tuberous Drosera (e.g. peltata,

   Well, from seed you can keep them growing through the year, so
long as the plants are kept below 12 hour of light per day and
kept wet. D.peltata, growing constantly for about nine months,
will quickly retreat underground when underwatered. They will
not stop growing on their own though. Perhaps, if you are growing
them in a greenhouse, the sun will cause them to go dormant as
spring starts up. Also, once they flower, whether the season is
getting long or not, they tend to go dormant.
   D.stolenifera (sp?), a seedling, grew one rosette for the
season. After six months, it died away, but other rosette popped
up without going dormant. I have a feeling that there is a good
amount of "room for play" as far as the bulb/tuber Drosera are
concerned. Unless you're over ruled by the sun, that is. ;)

Dave Evans