Introduction

From: Barry Van Winkle (vanwinkl@casper.med.uth.tmc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 18 1997 - 14:04:57 PST

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:04:57 -0600
From: vanwinkl@casper.med.uth.tmc.edu (Barry Van Winkle)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Introduction

  Howdy from Houston!! I've been a on-again off-again CP grower for some
years and am thrilled to find the discussion group and various sites. Here
in Houston, nearly all CPs do well because of our incessant humidity.
Mildew does particulary well also. I'm fortunate in that my wife and I have
a 40 acre weekend place north of Houston (just a little east of the Flynn
bogs as mentioned on the Web) and get to watch the Drosera pop out this time
each spring. Maybe not as exciting as having wild Nepenthes growing in my
trees but pretty nice nonetheless! I am most interested in Nepenthes (have
purchased pre and post hurricane from Orgel Bramblett in Miami and always
gotten nice plants) and always looking for ones that'll do well in my
greenhouse. Can't afford rajah yet but glad to see them starting to be on
the market. Like to start Heliamphora. Anyone have any of the
easier-to-grow Helias for sale?

Have tissue culture facilities in my medical school laboratories and will
try my hand at some simple things (Drosera) first.

W. Barry VanWinkle, Ph.D
E-mail vanwinkl@casper.med.uth.tmc.edu
Phone (713)500-5350 FAX (713) 500-0730
Department of Pathology
University of Texas Health Science Center-Houston
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77030
USA