Introduction

From: Ross & Ingrid Lyle (rilyle@internetnorth.com.au)
Date: Fri Apr 04 1997 - 14:41:07 PST

Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 08:41:07 +1000
From: rilyle@internetnorth.com.au (Ross & Ingrid Lyle)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Introduction

Hello
        I am a new subscriber to cp digest, Pretty new to computers all
round in fact . My interest dates from a birthday present of highly priced
collection from my wife Ingrid about seventeen years ago . I know it was
about 17 years because My eldest was a baby & she is now in first year
nursing at university . Doesn't time fly when your having fun . Our
collection grew fairly quickly for a few years until the pressures of a
growing family & the fact that I got a job in a gold mine that keeps me away
from home half the time, led to a time of neglect & a diminishing collection
. We have been making an effort now to rebuild & over the last three or four
years & have now surpassed our previous collection . Every time We get a
plant that I have wanted for years another one moves up to take its place in
my mind, there doesn't seem to be any end to it . WE have most genus
represented in the greenhouse with a slight bias to nepenthes . The climate
here in North Queensland, Australia is faily mild . We are high enough above
sea level to grow high altitude nepenthes That can be a bit of a problem on
the coast in these latitudes but not so high that the lowland species are a
problem . In a mild year we have a bit of a problem with winter dormancy for
those plants that need it . We have both aldrovanda & dionaea but my
hybridisation program has been fruitless so I am looking forward to seeing
aldronaea vescipula in the local retail nursery .
        I have a couple of points that someone may be able to comment on .
- My heliamphora hetrodoxa has just started to flower : can these plants be
self pollinated ? can anyone share experience on propagation of Heliamphora ?
- Some of my Nepenthes seed pods are producing very fine seed, almost dust,
My experience has shown that any germination is most unlikely from this dust
. They seemed to take the pollen OK and develop normally to the stage of
ripening . Any comments ?
        We look forward to hearing from growers both from Australia & the World.
  Thank You, Ross & Ingrid Lyle