Re: D. rotundifolia and S. leucophylla IDs

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Feb 26 1997 - 13:26:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 26 Feb 97 16:26 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. rotundifolia and S. leucophylla IDs

> Subject: D. rotundifolia and S. leucophylla IDs
>
> Hmmm, why am I reading from so many different sources that the flowers of
> certain species are supposed to be one color and then my plants bloom
> another color altogether? Are there varieties of D. rotundifolia with
> pink flowers? And are there varieties of S. leucophylla with translucent
> lemon yellow flowers? Respectively, I've read their flowers should be
> white and red.

> Could my plants be hybrids?

Yes.

> Or are they varieties? BTW,

Hmm, that depends on who you talk to.

> the flower on my S. leucophylla exudes a wonderfully sweet, slightly spicy
> odor.

This doesn't sound like S.luecophylla. S.flava has a pale yellow
flower and the flower has a strong sickly-sweet odor. S.luecophylla
has pitchers with white tops and red or green veins. S.flava is
of similar height and shape, but is often a deep green color sometimes
pale green. Also, S.flava is much stockier than S.luecophylla.

> And no, I'm not going to clip it. I've found that flowering often
> encourages side growth, esp. Cephalotus, Drosera, & VFT--not to mention
> Tillandsia. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

No, but I'll look for it now. I have noticed that Sarracenia do
start off much quicker if the flowers are removed right after they
start to show. Also, you can induce side growth in Sarracenia
by the plant having developed a flower bud, doesn't matter if it
gets clipped off, the flower bud has already caused a side shoot
to grow. Of course, you will get many more plants if you let it
flower and grow the seed.

Dave Evans