Re: D. rotundifolia and S. leucophylla IDs

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 27 1997 - 15:54:36 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 23:54:36 GMT
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. rotundifolia and S. leucophylla IDs

Gary <garko@sfsu.edu> writes:

> Hmmm, why am I reading from so many different sources that the flowers of
> certain species are supposed to be one color and then my plants bloom
> another color altogether? Are there varieties of D. rotundifolia with
> pink flowers?

       I have occasionally observed pink D.rotundifolia flowers on my plants
       grown under very strong fluorescent lights, but the same plants also
       produce white flowers at other times. Very strange phenomenon, but
       not I think stable enough to be considered a variety.

> And are there varieties of S. leucophylla with translucent
> lemon yellow flowers?

       Yes - S.leucophylla has been found with yellow flowers, and this
       variety is in cultivation and comes true from seed apparently. I
       believe Allen Lowrie has seed of it. It might be of hybridogenic
       origin I suppose (as has been postulated for some of the other
       forms of Sarracenia spp.,) but I've not seen it myself.
       For more details, see:

        http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/phil/sarras.htm#lyellowflowered

> Respectively, I've read their flowers should be
> white and red.

       Usually.

> Could my plants be hybrids?

       Possibly, but by no means certainly. If the rotundifolias are not
       rotundifolia, then I would hazard a guess that they are D.spatulata,
       or perhaps capillaris. Do the plants produce a hibernaculum? I
       can't think of any likely rotundifolia hybrids that would produce a
       pink flower (I'm sure plenty of people will chip in with suggestions
       here :-) Certainly there should be no fertile ones, so if the plants
       produce viable seed, you can pretty much rule this one out.

> Or are they varieties? BTW,
> the flower on my S. leucophylla exudes a wonderfully sweet, slightly spicy

       Certainly it's nicer than flava :)

> odor. And no, I'm not going to clip it. I've found that flowering often
> encourages side growth, esp. Cephalotus, Drosera, & VFT--not to mention
> Tillandsia. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

       I don't know if it encourages it or responds to it, but yes, they
       often go together. I certainly wouldn't cut off flowers of any of my
       plants - they're part of the plant, so worth enjoying in their own
       right (not to mention the seed you can get.)

           Happy growing,

                       Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :: mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk
    Killay, SWANSEA SA27BU,WALES,UK :: http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/
  vox:+44 1792 205214 :: Carnivorous plants & seeds for sale