Nepenthes x trichocarpa (N. ampullaria x N.gracilis)

From: TANWK (TANWK@am.nie.ac.sg)
Date: Thu Feb 27 1997 - 09:29:58 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 01:29:58 +0800
From: TANWK <TANWK@am.nie.ac.sg>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes x trichocarpa (N. ampullaria x N.gracilis)

Dear Fellow CP'ers,

>> Perry Malouf
>Isn't the naturally occurring hybrid of these two species called tricocarpa?
>It maintains the vining habit of gracillis but with slightly larger and more
>robust pitchers. The pitcher shape is a little strange, coloring depends on
>the parents.
>Tom in Fl.

 The trichocarpa (commonly known as the Dainty Pitcher Plant) pitchers are
smaller (about half the size). Incidentally, there is a description, with a drawing,
from the book "Pitcher-plants of Borneo" (Phillipps and Lamb, 1996):
" Nepenthes x trichocarpa is a dainty little plant, intermediate between the two
parents, N.gracilis and N.ampullaria, with climbing stems up to 3 metres. The
ground pitchers sit in conclave like those of N.ampullaria, but are more cylindrical
in shape, with two narrow fringed 'wings', and with the narrower peristomes and
larger lids of N.gracilis. The upper pitchers are tubular, constricted just below the
broader peristome and with more oblong lids than N.gracilis, but retaining the
decurrent leaves. Like both N.gracilis and N.ampullaria, there are often massed
rosettes of pitchers borne at the base of the older stems. "

  There are a few locations in our tiny little city-state of Singapore where N. x
trichocarpa can be found. If you are in Singapore on business or holiday, and
there is a mutually convenient time, we can go and see these plants (and a few
other Nepenthes and Utricularia).

  Regards,
                     Tan Wee Kiat
                      Nanyang Technological University