Fruit Fly Larvae

From: Phill Cook (pac@physchem.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 02:20:55 PST

Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:20:55 GMT
From: Phill Cook <pac@physchem.ox.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fruit Fly Larvae

Dear All,

I remember Nigel Hurneyman (I think!) posting here a few weeks ago with a
fruit fly (sciaria?) problem. I've had trouble with these since last summer,
and as yet the only means I have of controlling the problem is to sit
Eagle-eyed over the infected pots, and pick off the larvae as I see them.
This has had the effect of generally controlling the problem, and coupled
with judicious placing of D.Capensis to gobble up the parents, will hopefully
bring it to an end soon.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing is that it's seed season soon, and the problem
always seems to occur in seedling pots, much to my frustration. Does anyone
know of a good way to stop them, or has anyone had any experience
in dealing with this? None of the books I have mention Sciaria, which surprises
me, I get the impression that its not an uncommon problem.

Thank you all in advance, and feel free to E-mail me personally,

Phill Cook,
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, University of Oxford.
pac@physchem.ox.ac.uk