Re: Fruit Fly Larvae

From: Juerg Steiger (steiger@iae.unibe.ch)
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 07:15:05 PST

Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 16:15:05 +0100
From: steiger@iae.unibe.ch (Juerg Steiger)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fruit Fly Larvae

Phill

I think you don't have fruit flies (Drosophila) but 'Sciarid flies' (2-3 mm
long black flies, usually Bradysia paupera, Licoriella sp. or similar
species). Their larvae can really kill hundreds of seedlings. A biological
and by far the most efficient therapy is a solution of Bacillus
thuringiensis var. israelensis. When poured into the substrate it
selectively kills all larvae by invading their digestive tract and
destroying the intestines. As the pupae, imagines (flies) and eggs are not
affected the treatment must be repeated after 10 days. You'll be surprised
about the success.

Bacillus thuringiensis solution is commercially available. In Switzerland
it is known under the label 'Teknar' at Andermatt Biocontrol Ltd.,
Unterdorf, CH-6146 Grossdietwil. Phone +41 (0)63 592 840; Fax: +41 (0)63
592 123. 100 ml (=20 liter spray solution) costed last year 18 Swiss
francs = 14 US$. I have no connections with the producer.

Kind regards Juerg

 Juerg Steiger, Institut fuer Aus-, Weiter- und Fortbildung IAWF
University of Bern, Inselspital 37a, CH-3010 Bern, Switzerland
Office: +41 31 632 9887 Fax: +41 31 632 9871