Re: Photographing Plants

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA)
Date: Mon Jan 27 1997 - 07:30:33 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 09:30:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Photographing Plants

Hi Edward,

> I know this may seem out of place here but.....
>
> I have a few questions regarding photographing plants in habitat
> (_Nepenthes_ etc).
>
> 1. What is the best film for doing such work, I have used Fuji SuperG Plus
> 200 in the past but it was too slow for some of the shade/forest floor
> shots(well ok, just about all). When I got the pictures back I found most
> of the green deep emerald green that I would have liked to have captured was
> bluish and the bright reds became flourescent gaudy colors. I am looking at
> getting Kodak 400 Gold this time around to take better low light pictures
> and hopefully capture the colors correctly. Any input/experience?

        I use Fuji 400 for all photos, whether inside or outside. It
saves on having to use a flash. As well, a flash will sometimes light
up only certain areas making parts of the photo looked washed out.

> 2. When take shots of the canopy it is difficult to capture very much detail
> due to the sky backlighting and an overall lack of contrast(looks like green
> mess) Will a ASA 400 film reduce this? Will flash help?
>
> 3. Any recommendations in terms of filters to get better habitat photos?

        Try a UV-filter. It'll save your lens in the long-run. A
diffuser will produce a nice, soft look to the photo, but for sharp, crisp
photos, I'd say use as few lens and filters as possible. Less to
go wrong!

> Thank you,
> Edward Gilding
> egilding@lava.net