Re:seed viability test

From: Mark van Kleunen (M.vanKleunen@stud.biol.ruu.nl)
Date: Sat Jan 25 1997 - 00:55:30 PST

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 09:55:30 +0100
From: Mark van Kleunen <M.vanKleunen@stud.biol.ruu.nl>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:seed viability test

Loyd wrote:

> There are I believe chemicals available to check the
> viability of seed which only stain live tissue, perhaps this
> is one way to determine seed quality before planting. Any
> one out there familiar with these chemicals?

One of these chemicals is tetrazolium (2,3,5 triphenyl-tetrazoliumchloride).
I used it during my study to test whether plant tissue was dead or alive. I
made a 0.5% solution of the tetrazolium in which the plant tissue was
incubated for 24 hours at 30 degrees C. When the tissue was alive it was
stained red. I don't know, however, where you can buy this chemical.
I recently read an article in which the seed viability was tested by use of
an tetrazolium assay. The reference they gave was "International Seed
Testing Association 1985).

Regards
Mark van Kleunen