Re: Pinguicula primuliflora

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 24 1997 - 19:33:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 24 Jan 97 22:33 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicula primuliflora

> From: Philip Thomas <thomasp@MAUI.COM>
>
> My recent experiences with P. prim seem to indicate that they prefer
> FRESH media; upon planting some that I received bare-root into new
> peat/vermiculite (and l.f. sphag), they all really took off. Now, 6 mos
> later, they don't seem to be quite as vigorous (though it might be the
> season & changes in light, too). If they don't perk up by spring, I'm
> going to just transplant them all again & see what happens. (They are
> not unhealthy--they're flowering & producing leaf-keikis--it's just a
> "gestalt" thing...)

Hmm... I've noticed many Pings do this. Grow for awhile, then
slack off. It seems they simply need good seasons to keep them
growing strong. I had my P.prim outside in the same pot with
the Darlingtonia (likes it wet) until after the whole thing froze
a couple times. I noticed the leaves on the Ping were wilted
where they stood above the Sphagnum and could easily dry. This
and the fact it would probably not survive past a couple more light
freezes, led me to bring them inside where they have quickly started
growing again. During the later fall, they simply stopped growing
and that was enough dormancy for them and now underlights they've
returned to full vigor. Now, I await a flower. Perhaps flowering
can slow them a bit? Also, vermiculite does get sapped of it's
nutrients after awhile (like you said, "not fresh") and now there is
much less prey for them as well.

Dave E