Re: cold and darlingtonia

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Thu Jan 16 1997 - 05:54:00 PST

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 97 08:54:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: cold and darlingtonia

Hi Rand,

You said in a previous email about Darlingtonia,

>Keep the roots _cool_! Especially when it is in a growth spurt. I use
ice cubes.
>Rand in Canada

Ice cubes in Canada sounds like overkill to me. I wonder what chance I have
growing Darlingtonia in the Southern United States where we have 4 to 5
months of 80 and 90F weather in summer.

I plan to find out. I have sprouting Darlingtonia seeds and once large
enough, will transfer them to a Holman bog (which is nothing more than a
deep hole lined with plastic, filled with growing media and water). The
water level is maintained by placing holes a few inches below the surface.
  The Holman bog was developed to grow native North American terrestrial
orchid (cyprepediums) that also have roots that are sensitive to heat. I
also plan to grow a layer of live sphagnum moss to help cut down on sunlight
heating the growing media. One thing I haven't decided yet is whether to
put it in full sun or find some place in the yard that gets afternoon shade.

 What are my chances!!!!

David