Re: measuring restivity of water

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 15 1997 - 07:29:11 PST

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:29:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: measuring restivity of water

> Several months ago I purchased a R.O. unit. Wanting to keep
> track of the membrane's health, I placed stainless steel
> wire sperated at a fixed distance into some R.O. water produced
> by the unit. I then attached my digital multimeter's leads
> to the two pieces of stainless steel wire. ....
snip

> I'm just looking for
> a way to accurately track the output water's relative quality
> from batch to batch over time.
> --Zachary--

Sounds like your really interested in ensuring that water qualtiy remains high
over time. That's a good question. My unit had instructions to replace the
membrane annually, but I believe that this life expectancy was based on gallons
of water produced. If I remember correctly the estimated life was about 3500
gallons. I am estimating usable life based on the number of times I have filled
a 55 gallon container. My unit is about 2 years old and I have not replaced
the membrane yet, although I do have a replacement handy.

I would be interested in hearing a better way to do it.

Tom in Fl.