Re: Heat

From: Wayne Forrester (forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 15 1997 - 07:50:01 PST

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Wayne Forrester <forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Heat

Hi Doug,
        You don't say what kind of tank you have your plants in but if
it's one of the standard fish tanks, or something similar there are heat
strips (I'm not sure what they're called, but they're about a 12 inches
wide and come in rolls which can be cut to length) that work pretty well.
I have them under my two tanks. I bought them as kits at a pet shop that
sells reptiles and amphibians. The kits included the heat pad cut to the
length I wanted, with wire and clips to attache the wire, and a rheostat
to adjust the heat. I paid about $30 for the kit with a 3 foot long
strip. The room I have my tanks in is usually in the 60's, and the strips
keep the soil temp at about 80 F. I think they work reasonably well.
Note, the strips go under the tank, not in it. Alternatives that come to
mind would be soil heating cables or even an aquarium heater immersed in
water, but I would guess these might be a little less effective. Hope
this helps.

Wayne Forrester