Re: re: Locality Clod (was a couple of thoughts)

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 15 1997 - 06:43:48 PST

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:43:48 -0500 (EST)
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: re: Locality Clod (was a couple of thoughts)

In a message dated 1/14/97 11:35:18 PM, Carl Mazur wrote:

>I just got my December issue of CPN, and as always, I find something of
>particular interest to me. I'm a CLOD!!! AHHHHH!! You know, Barry, I need
>help. I don't know what causes it! There is always a reason to add a new
>label and plant.
>
>I, like Barry, am Sarraphile, all species, forms, genetic variations, races
>however you want to say it. However, for the true Sarraphile, it seems
>that locality is important.

I'm gonna run the (relatively common) risk of opening my mouth before I have
the facts. (I haven't received CPN yet). Is this the long-held discussion
about the value of locality data? I've read what Barry has posted on his
web-sites, and if I'm correct ...

My name is Jay Lechtman, and I'm a locality clod, too. (should start a
12-step program -- CPLA (CP Locations Anonymous)).

I'm a sarracenia lover as well (though I wouldn't go as far as Nigel's
observed tabloid cover <grin>), and the plants have greater meaning for me if
I know roughly (even state or county level data at least) where they came
from. And as Carl points out, I do believe there to be some valid reasons for
wanting such data. To wit: S. minor has an extensive range, from Central
Florida to Southern North Carolina (not to mention that of S. purpurea
purpurea). If someone in a colder clime is having trouble with an S. minor
from the southern-most part of its range, would it not be worth trying one
from the northern-most extent? And this modest cultivation help pales in
comparison with the identification issues that Carl raised. (If I've got an
S. psittacina x S. rubra and I know it came from Perdido, Alabama, it should
be easier to identify as S. psitt x S. rubra wheryi).

This value is only compounded when I see location data as part of the common
name in cultivation/trade. (e.g. S. rubra "Taylor County GA") ... knowing its
location can narrow it down to a possibly-ancestral form of S. rubra as a
group of subspecies, rather than just a particularly-attractive mutant from
N.
Carolina, for instance. (Likewise, wouldn't you like to know if an S.
oreophila originally came from now-gone sites in Georgia, as opposed to the
slightly-more common Alabama?) And so on .....

FWIW (less than my normal $.02 US likely)

Jay Lechtman