Re: ??D.diels. * D. sp. Trans.??

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Jan 06 1997 - 09:03:35 PST

Date:          Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:03:35
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: ??D.diels. * D. sp. Trans.??

Dear Dave & Peter,

> I hear it's
> self-fertile? and that the sp. 'Transvaal' may be D.collinsiae? (I
> think that was it, or maybe affinis...) I can't remember who I
> heard this from - came up in Email a couple of months ago.

_D. affinis_ is from tropical AF and not known from Transvaal, so the
former is much more probable (even the type specimen of _D.
collinsiae_ being from Transvaal). It could also be an aberrant form
of the widespread and rather variable _D. madagascariensis_. I also
think the juvenile plants are not representative, and any similarity
with _D. spatulata_ and _D. capensis_ will (hopefully) disappear
after a while.

> It goes to show these S.African Drosera are a complex group!

I don't think so unless excessive splitting is applied. They are
certainly more complex than the EU, AS, or temperate N AM species but
both S AM and especially AU present definitely much more problems.

Kind regards
Jan