Re: Re: ??D.diels. * D. sp. Trans.??

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 07 1997 - 18:32:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 07 Jan 97 21:32 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: ??D.diels. * D. sp. Trans.??

> From: SCHLAUER@CHEMIE.UNI-WUERZBURG.DE
>
> _D. affinis_ is from tropical AF and not known from Transvaal, so the
> former is much more probable (even the type specimen of _D.
> collinsiae_ being from Transvaal). It could also be an aberrant form
> of the widespread and rather variable _D. madagascariensis_. I also
> think the juvenile plants are not representative, and any similarity
> with _D. spatulata_ and _D. capensis_ will (hopefully) disappear
> after a while.

Nope, they are very different, not just because they are juvenile.
The rosetted plants are growing very fast and are already twice
the size of the largest D.dielsiana I've seen. They have grown
out 20-25 leaves while the erect (D.capensis?) plants have grown
out about ten or so leaves. Tom Hayes saw them too, and agrees
they're not the same, BTW. The rosetted plants' lamina bend upward
while the other's bend downward.

 D.madagascariensis has rounded lamina, right? I just found a
juvenile, upright, plant with rounded lamina growing in a pot with
a Sarracenia. I have no idea how any seed (weed?) even got into
the pot since it's in a Zip-loc bag. I also don't have any adult
plants (or seedlings) that remotely look like this. The reason
I'm writing about this one is it's not looking very happy and
may be getting too much light. I'd really like to save it, but
having no idea what it is, I don't know how to care for it.
Imagine a cross between D. capensis and D.falconeri, though much
smaller than either and so few leaves you can see the
internodes. Eh! It sounds like something tuberous...

Dave Evans