Re: Pronounce Latin

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Jan 06 1997 - 09:25:09 PST

Date:          Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:25:09
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Pronounce Latin

Dear Laurent,

What you propose is Italian but it has little to do with Latin.
Thus, it is nearly as good or bad as French or German (i.e. perhaps a
little more uniform than English). As I have written previously,
Italian has some specific pronounciation rules developed after the
decline of the Roman Empire, and these do in the first line affect
the letter C. In fact, all Romance languages have their own rules in
this respect, some of which being specific. The only fact in common
is the difference between modern and Latin pronounciation (which in
itself was not as homogeneous as we might think).

> The 'A' in
> all these examples is the european 'a' like in...'America'.

But "America" has two "a"s, and they might be pronounced differently
by some Europeans! I would even call our British fellows European (no
insult intended!) although they might not consider themselves as
continental.

Kind regards
Jan