Re: fertillizing CP (was distilled water)

L235@aol.com
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 16:18:23 -0500

In a message dated 12/15/96 9:30:23 PM, Sean Barry wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Brian Estes wrote:
>
>> What's the point of using distilled water when some advise of fertilizing
>> the plants? Sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Brian Estes
>>

>Fertilizer=inorganic nitrogen (nitrate), phosphorus (as PO4), potassium
>potash (as K+)
>
>Hard water=calcium, magnesium, none or very little of the above
>
>Distilled water=water only, and you can then control the fertilizer
>precisely with supplements. Also, Calcium and magnesium in high
>concentrations are toxic to many carnivorous plants, so use
>distilled/deionized/reverse osmosis/rain water.
>
>Sean Barry

Additionally, every recommendation I've seen for CP fertilization calls for
foliar feeding (or injecting dilute fertilizer solution directly into
pitchers) to simulate the absorption of insect-derived nitrogenous (and
other) materials at the evolved site of digestion/absorption (pitcher,
sessile gland, etc.).

(For the group) Has or does anyone recommend root feeding of CP? Has anyone
tried this?

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
"People who live in glass houses should grow CP"