Re: Re: fertillizing CP (was distilled water)

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 16 Dec 96 16:54 EST

> From: L235@AOL.COM
>
> Additionally, every recommendation I've seen for CP fertilization calls for
> foliar feeding (or injecting dilute fertilizer solution directly into
> pitchers) to simulate the absorption of insect-derived nitrogenous (and
> other) materials at the evolved site of digestion/absorption (pitcher,
> sessile gland, etc.).

This is an important fact. Most cp soils include a lot of peatmoss.
The only reason it don't mold up and break down is the lack of
nutrient to feed fungus and bacteria. Also, in the bogs, there
is no oxygen under the surface of the bog. That helps to built
the peat to those huge depthes.

> (For the group) Has or does anyone recommend root feeding of CP? Has anyone
> tried this?

Hi Jay,

Yes. Nepenthes, Heliamphora and, lesser so, Sarracenia
respond well to low concentrations of fertilizer. Nepenthes
can use between 1/4 to 1/3 (1/2, maybe) strength fertilizer.
This should be applied mostly to the leaves and traps but the
roots can also use this food. I would not give Sarracenia a
sol. stronger than 1/4 strength on the soil. I have seen great
improvement in the color (makes the plants very green) by using
these concentrations and Nepenthes grow much, much faster as
will Heliamphora. Nepenthes can get this every six or eigth
weeks and Sarracenia as needed (when they look pale).
Heliamphora should be treated more like Sarracenia with regard
to concentrations. This will reduce the life of the peatmoss in
your soils, but potted plants need to be repotted every year or
so anyway. If plants have never been fertilized before, start
them at lower concentrations. Perhaps a lower level will be fine
for your needs, you'll never need more than the above amounts.

Dave Evans

P.S. Some bulbous (tuberous) Drosera like 1/4- 1/3 strength
sol. of fertilizer to the leaves only. This is probably true
for many other Drosera, but I keep most of those (hardy plants)
outside so they catch all they could ever need.