Re: Stores and Places to see cp in Texas

John and Cecilia (jandce@iglobal.net)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 23:58:18 -0600

Sorry for not replying earlier. I have been in Texas for about two years
now. I am located in the Denton region which is about 30 mi. N. of Dallas.
In this area, I do not know of any stores or locations where you can see
carnivorous plants. There was another member of the list from the Ft. Worth
area. Apparently there is not much there regarding CPs or they would have
responded.

I do have a bookmark to a bog system maintained by the Texas A&M university
at Austin. The site is called the Flynn Bogg System. It is located on a
private ranceh in Leon
County, Texas, northeast of the small agricultural community of Flynn. I
would like to take a trip there and see it for myself, but I haven't had
the chance to yet. Based on their web site, it looks like it would be real
interesting to see if you like CPs or other bog related fauna.
Here is a location that you can check out for yourself to see if it is what
you are looking for:

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/flynnbog/FB1.HTML

Looking in my book "Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada" by
Donald E. Schnell, the Sarracenia alata has a natural range throughout the
costal to mid-inland of Louisiana, Alabama, and what looks to be a large
section of East Texas from the cost between Corpus Christi to the louisian
border an north about mid-way up the map towards the Oklahoma border.
There could be several locations in this area of Texas to see and buy CP
but I haven't discovered them yet.

I scanned in the maps that show the range of the two species and placed
them on my web site for you to take a look at. They are located here:

http://www.iglobal.net/pub/JohnAndCe/images/Sarracenia_alata.gif
http://www.iglobal.net/pub/JohnAndCe/images/Drosera_capillaris.gif

Pinguicula pumila and Drosera brevifolia have a similar natural range as
Drosera capillaris.

I will need to remove these images from my web site after this weekend. If
you would like I can e-mail them to you.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John Boehme
http://www.iglobal.net/pub/JohnAndCe/webmap.htm
http://www.iglobal.net/pub/JohnAndCe/ftpcontrol.htm