Where's the controversy?

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 22 Nov 96 23:56 EST

Hi List,

I tried to send this in before but I don't think it came through...
To: cp@OPUS.HPL.HP.COM

> From: Chris Marsden <100620.2156@COMPUSERVE.COM>
>

> BTW, why are so few people responding to this conserving CP thread?
> My last mail along these lines (CP mapping??) whipped up a frenzy of
> controversy. Just what I like :-) Anyone else have an opinion on
> this? Pleeeeease ;-) ??

Hi Toby,

It's like this: in order to keep land from being developed
you have to place controls on our population's growth. Meaning
that no couple can have more than two kids and that we stop
increasing our life spans. Our current political leaders hold
that our country (or any country) needs to keep the population
growing in order to keep the economy growing (I don't know how
true this is, but it appears true for the time being, I suppose).
So what is there to say? Kill someone?

I do support conservation! I think education is the key to
helping with this (that and just about every other problem we
might face). So lets hear some controversy! How can we increase
the population without wreaking the environment? Or should I
say, "How can we stop from killing off species of no direct
benefit to us?" Our environment might still be ok to support us,
but will anything besides farm animals and crops be left?

Dave Evans