Re: Re: "centipede"

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 18 Nov 96 19:03 EST

> From: Loren Russell <loren@PEAK.ORG>
>
> Re Kerry's story about the pet centipede -- if it was eating the dead
> leaves of the pitcher plant, it was surely a MILLIPEDE, since centipedes
> are exclusively carnivorous.

Yes, I found that out. Got bitten by one! They are also much
faster than millipedes.

> In the case of millipedes, most are primarily detritus-feeding and
> relatively harmless. But there are a couple of species locally which are
> commonly found in greenhouses, which do damage seedlings and other soft
> plant growth, often nibbling at the base, making their damage look like
> damping off.

Any idea what those really huge ones eat? I had always though
the millipedes seen in horror movies, ect were fake. However,
while hiking last year, someone spotted what they belived to be a
snake. It turned out to be a millipede about a foot long and
an inch thick! Wow, that would make for a good pet but I wonder
if it would want to eat my plants?

Dave Evans