Re: Cephalotus dormancy requirement?

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 18 Nov 96 18:48 EST

> From: "Zachary B. Kaufman" <zbk49255@CHALLENGER.ATC.FHDA.EDU>
>
> Does Cephalotus have a dormancy reuiresdfs requirement? Does
> it go dormant in the wild?

Yes. But it is expecting a drier summer to rest through, not
a freezing winter to survive.

> Mine seems to be losing its vigor after a year growing in a
> terrarium under lights. I know in CARNIVOROUS PLANTS OF THE
> WORLD it is claimed no dormany is required. I'm wondering
> what others think to this.

It's rather odd that no dormancy is mentioned for this one.
That would be like saying Mexican Pinguicula don't have a rest.
For several months, Cephalotus makes flat non-carnivorous leaves.
This reminds me of how many Mex. Ping. produce leaves w/out traps
in the winter. In both cases, the plants slow down and produce
their inexpensive leaves and return in the Spring and early
Summer to flower (though it's in reverse for Cephalotus.)

It's not as though either sort of plant stops growing completely.
There is no reason for it like freezing or super hot or dry
weather, but they still need to *feel the seasons* in order to
stay healthy. All plants from temperate locations have to
be given seasonal day light/night time schedules to remain healthy.
This is why most houseplants are tropical. They don't need this
and are, hence, easier to care for.

Dave Evans