Tea recipe

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 14:58:33 -0500 (EST)

Jay Lechtman wrote:

> FWIW, the recipe I remember Rob Sacillato (forgive the misspelling) giving
> was five tea bags to a U.S. gallon of water, which should give you something
> less than a gallon after 1/2 hour of hard boiling.) I've used plain ole'
> Liptons Orange Pekoe and Black (though I use 3 of the family sized bags).

Here's the peat moss recipe I use:

For each gallon of water (I use RO water) add one quart
of (dry) peat moss. I also add a fistful of dry
long fiber sphagnum. Bring the water to a boil and keep it
boiling for 15 minutes or so. Afterwards, strain the (still
hot) tea through an old sheet (Rob uses nylon from a stocking).

I don't store the tea longer than a week. For watering plants,
I use a 1:1 dilution of RO water to tea. This might be a bit
strong, I think Rob uses two cups tea per gallon of water. I've
not noticed any adverse affects in my Nepenthes from a 1:1 dilution.

I water my Nepenthes once per week with this, in addition to
watering with regular (RO) water.

Perry Malouf