Re: Peat Tea

L235@aol.com
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 14:24:59 -0500

Dave Evans writes:

>This peat tea "debate" is really quite amusing, I must say!
>A pot of soil lasts for about 1 to 2 years before the soil needs
>to be replaced. It seems to me that until the soil (peat) goes
>bad, it should not need any tea added to it... Other things like
>pine straw and leaves may help out some but come on, the plants
>already look very nice without teas. Natural lighting or a good
>lighting set-up indoors and feeding are the best and most
>effective ways to get the plants happy and colored up!

I've seen minor cultural differences change the coloration of plants
dramatically, without a change in the soil whatsoever. (e.g. red-tube,
yellow-top S. x catesbei go from a greenhouse in full sun in NC to my
backyard in full sun in VA change from the above coloration to yellow with
red veins.) Although the plant was potted pure peat in both cases, the
addition of a strong black tea infusion really helped move the plant back
towards the colors for which I purchased it ... although granted, it WAS only
$2 US.)

I've found increased vigor and color in already-healthy plants in good
growing conditions and planting media with the addition of tannic acid ... so
why not use it? Are my plants healthy and beautiful without it? yes ... Do
they grow faster and larger and have even more beautiful color with it? yes
again.)

FWIW, the recipe I remember Rob Sacillato (forgive the misspelling) giving
was five tea bags to a U.S. gallon of water, which should give you something
less than a gallon after 1/2 hour of hard boiling.) I've used plain ole'
Liptons Orange Pekoe and Black (though I use 3 of the family sized bags).

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
"People who live in glass houses should grow CP"