Re: Stratification

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 06 Nov 96 16:43 EST

> From: "Carlstrom_Rick"
> <Carlstrom_Rick%P-AME-HQ.CCBRIDGE.SEAA.mrouter@SEAA.NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
>

> This year I havested about 100 s. purp. seeds and 20 VFT
> seeds. To
> get them to germinate I should put them in the refrigerator for
> 6-8 weeks then sow them on fine peat? Do the seeds actually get
> burried or should they stay on the surface? Is any other
> preperation necessary? I assume the soil is kept damp. How long
> does it typically take VFT and s. purp seeds to germinate?
> Should the tray be covered to provide very high humidity or is
> 50-60% OK?

Hi,

Stratification happens after the seed imbibes water so they
need to be kept moist/wet for it to work. I'm not sure about the VFT
but Sarracenia seed need light in order to germinate so they must
be left on the soil surface. A couple weeks should be enough for
most of the seed to come up. The humidity, depends on how much
you like to water the tray or pots. It will not dry as fast if covered.

Dave Evans