Re: I'm back! & Drosera hybrids

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 18 Sep 96 20:23 EDT

> From: Fernando Rivadavia <ss69615@ECC-XS09.HONGO.ECC.U-TOKYO.AC.JP>
>
> and then I will be able to
> begin working more intensively on my Brazilian Drosera DNA sequencing
> project, though what I really need to do at the moment is concentrate on
> publishing some of my new species of Drosera from Brazil which are already
> way overdue.

New species!! YES!!! What are the goals of DNA sequencing, to
find out what plants are closer related?

> As to the Drosera hybrids, I read a few messages talking about
> D.filiformis X D.intermedia going dormant at odd times.
> (now) that I hear you guys in temperate climates saying the
> same things I can only guess it is normal for this cross.

Not really at odd (or wrong) times but earlier than what the
supposed parents of the cross do. I don't doubt the D. filiformis one
bit, but I think that some of the plants going around, in collections,
maybe a different hybrid involving D. fili. and D. anglica or linearis.
Since those two species do form winter buds earlier than D.intermedia.

> As to D.brevifolia crosses, other than the D.capillaris X
> D.brevifolia (which I've heard of but have never seen), Ivan Snyder from
> L.A. told me he was able to cross D.brevifolia with D.dielsiana!!

I finally saw one such cross this past weekend at a friend's
apartment, though not involving D.brevifolia. D.intermedia *
D.rotundifolia is an incredible hybrid! The single plant is
five inches wide, has dozens of leaves with over 12 in that
"newly open and still covered with dew" stage. The basic shape
is that of D.intermedia but the leaves are at least twice as
wide and I don't think it was growing upright like D.intermedia.
The growth point was raised above the soil level some though, maybe
1 cm., unlike D.rotundifolia. Truely amazing!!! This plant is
still growing too, while the D.filiformis * "D.intermedia" cross
sitting right next to it is nearly all winter bud with the last of
it's leaves unfurling...

Dave Evans