Cultivation of D.glabripes

saharris@iafrica.com
Sat, 03 Aug 96 09:50:43 GMT

Carlo wrote:
> Any special instructions on sowing Drosera glabripes seed? All I can
> find out about it is that it is classed as a temperate Drosera but
> keeps its foliage through the winter. It's from South Africa.
>
> Peat or peat/sand as medium? Wet or damp?

Hi!,
Temperate??, tempramental!, Yes!!, but we like to call it
mediterranean-ish here in Cape Town. We do not experience frost or
snow, the temperatures have been known to go down to 0 degrees
centigrade on rare occasions during Winter, always in the early hours
of the morning. Approximate temperatures: Winter usually 5 night and
15-20 during the day, Summer 15-20 night and 25-35 day. Winter rainfall.
D.glabripes do not grow well for me, so I will describe them in
nature rather. (hilaris and ramentacea grow alongside) They always grow
fairly high up on the mountains, on inclines which are fairly well
drained, never standing in water, mist/clouds produce high humidity in
the mornings, even some Summer days experience this, but during the day
it can become quite dry. I have not seen any growing well in full sun,
they always grow amongst fairly dense shrubs (fynbos), with the leafy
tops +-10cm below the shrub canopy, the tallest I have seen have been
+-35cm. The soil is composed of sand/stones, with dead leaves, twigs
etc added. I use 8 river sand to 2 peat (by volume) as a soil mix.
Unfortunately I have not grown this species from seed, but have
grown ramentacea, I used more peat, possibly 50/50, many germinated in
shady conditions, but after the 3rd year many died, I have since
transfered them to 50% shade, where they are doing fairly well. I think
it would be wise to keep glabripes in the shade.
ALL THE BEST Eric Green