Re: Pollinating Cephalotus...

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 02 Aug 96 21:02 EDT

> From: Gary <garko@SFSU.EDU>
>
> Hi, I'm new to this group and would like to test the waters by requesting
> advice on how to pollinate my Cephalotus. It's blooming for 2nd time in
> 3 years with two flower stalks rising from a cluster of 5 or 6 rosettes.

I'm not sure when the stigma is ready for pollen and no one
has mentioned it so far. The flowers on mine lasted for at
least a week and I waited several days till the pollen was
released. Then I pollenated the flowers several times and was
rewarded with a couple of seed. So far, no germination but I
think they need stratification.

> BTW, I am ashamed to say (especially after reading past postings regarding
> Peter Paul's Nurseries) that I obtained my Cephalotus, along with Drosera
> binata "multifida" and Drosera capensis from this mail order company.
> Each "plant" looked like it was about to wither and die when I first
> opened the package--especially my Cephalotus which looked like a twig with
> a brown bud on the end. I was VERY disappointed.

This is nothing new to CP. By their nature, these plants are slow
growers and don't take well to being moved in any way. Expect
most plants you get to be in fairly beat up shape but healthy
enough to grow back at a decent rate. PP's is not a place I
plan on ordering from, though. Many people have told me that
their plants are worse for wear than they ought to be and come
mislabelled or wild collected. They have mentioned that they
will clean up their act, but you and someone else I recently
spoke have reported their displeasure with their order when it
came.

Dave Evans