Re: What do I do with D. Capensis seeds

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 10:01:38 +0100

On 22 Sep 95 at 13:02, Dhalsim/Raiden wrote:

> I am about to be the father of some D. Capensis seedlings soon. From
> what I've read, it seems like I will be getting MANY seeds ( I don't know
> if people were exaggerating just a little...) , but if that happens,
> how do I keep some until I am ready to plant them? SHould I pop
> them into the refridgerator and spray them with some fungicide or
> just leave them in a cool dry place?

Dry in the refrigerator won't do any harm - most seeds will last
longer the cooler they are (within reason), but I don't think Drosera
have any problem surviving for a year or more whatever you do with
them. Don't wet them until you sow them.

> For those that I plant, Why can't I bury the seeds under a millimeter
> of soil like other seeds? I've read that all I should do is sprinkle
> the seeds on top of the soil and that's it!!

Maybe you can bury them. Try it with some, though it certainly isn't
needed, and may be a disadvantage. I'm used to sowing
everything on the surface - CPs, Cacti, succulent mesembs - it's
where the seeds would end up naturally if they just fell on the soil.
Some seeds might find it too dry on the surface, but with CP seed,
sown in bog conditions, this is not likely to be a problem.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)