Re: VFT leaf cuttings

Ben Levin (benjinsl@astro.ocis.temple.edu)
Sun, 13 Aug 1995 12:42:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Seos mac Carthaigh wrote:

> Last year I took a leaf cutting of a VFT and it grew into a plant.
>
> This year me efforts have produced black rotten leaves, and no new
> plants. Was my first success a fluke?
(skipping to the chase)
> where am I going wrong..?
>
> Seos

Are you sure all the other parameters are the same? Same leaf age,
same temperature, humidity, etc...? It does seem rather strange that
one year it works and the next it doesn't. To prevent the leaves from
rotting you could dip the leaves in a fungicide. Also, I remember
reading that cuttings should be put in high light and humidity. You
could also try a rooting hormone, although it shouldn't be necessary
w/vft cuttings; they usually root easily enough w/o it.

Ben