Re: cancer warning! (was Re: Alternative growing media)

Trisha Coene (tcoene@CSOS.ORST.EDU)
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 13:12:50 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 16 Jan 1995, Jan Schlauer wrote:

> One of the species who do allegedly not like it is _Homo sapiens_. Indeed,
> rockwool fines are suspected to increase the risk of pneumonic cancer if
> inhaled (nearly as dangerous as asbestos fibres).
>
> It is only considered dangerous to handle (dry) rockwool in large amounts
> without protection for protracted periods of time so far but you should be
> careful, anyway. Avoid (ingestion or) inhalation.
>
> Jan

Hi everyone,

After quite some time I've returned. Unfortunately I'm not able to
check my mail every day because my deadlines are up for the magazine, so
I have no time to talk with you all.
Anyway, in regards to the Rockwool/cancer info. As you may or may not
know, hydroponic gardeners choose to use Rockwool as a medium very
frequently. For those who are unfamiliar with me, I'm an editor for a
high-tech growing mag. that most often features hydroponic articles. Of
all the commercial hydro. growers I've worked with (who use Rockwool),
not one has mentioned this evil aspect of Rockwool. But if you're worried
about it, I have great news. There is new medium much like Rockwool on
the market called Bono-Gro. It's completely safe AND BIODEGRADABLE! If
anyone is interested in learning more, give B.I.T. Tech. a call for info.
Their number is: 919-319-6710. - Trish >tcoene@csos.orst.edu> >