Re: tissue culture & seed questions

Andreas Wistuba (a.wistuba@carnivor.rhein-neckar.de)
10 Jan 1995 11:26:00 +0200

Dear Clinton and Brian,

you wrote:

> >One question regarding the current thread
> >though... Are most of you raising seedlings in
> >vitro (similar to orchids) or are any of you
> >doing asexual meristem culture?

Yet, most of the plants are introduced into the test tube from seeds. It s
possible to meristem Sarracenia but in case of Nepenthes that s quite a
problem and I only succeeded once out of many trials. Other people I know
have made similar experience. Problem is that the meristem-region is
highly contaminated by bacteria and fungi in case of Nepenthes but you
need to sterilize very gently as this soft tissue is so delicate. The
compromise is often hard to find.

> When `tissue culture' has been referred to in
> the recent posts, I have assumed that these
> were meristem cultures - but I've probably been
> predisposed to thinking that through orchid
> growing. If the cultures are not from
> meristems, which type of tissue is used, and
> which is the best, for various types of cp's?

In case of Drosera or Pinguicula which regenerate from non-meristematic
tissue, leaves or other tissue (e.g. flower stalks in Drosera) can also be
used.

It would be phantastic if it would be possible to regenerate e.g.
Nepenthes from leaf tissue some day... . Think about plants like N.
clipeata or dubia being widely available.... .

All the best

Andreas

Andreas Wistuba
Mudauer Ring 227; 68259 Mannheim; Germany
Tel.: +49 621 705471 Fax: +49 621 711307
e-mail: a.wistuba@carnivor.rhein-neckar.de
a.wistuba@dkfz-heidelberg.de
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##