Re: We can save the world (was RE: IN VITRO stuff)

Brian Obrien (bobrien@gac.edu)
Mon, 9 Jan 95 10:38:01 CST

Having followed this exchange for a while, I was considering sending a
long post, but Jan Schlauer has pretty much summarized my viewpoint (below).
I will add a couple of other items, though. I do not understand the
implication that a species without its habitat is worthless (a contention
which I have encountered in places other than this list). The logical
conclusion to draw from such a claim is that preservation attempts are
useless - we should simply give up attempts at preservation of _some_ of
the biological diversity since all of the habitats probably won't be
preserved. This would perhaps lead to a perversely satisfying(?) Pyrrhic
victory for some, I suppose. Everyone with any knowledge of the biological
world knows that habitat preservation is by far the best route to take, but
why disparage efforts to preserve at least some fragments from habitats
which are faced with extreme threats? I certainly do agree that one clone
is infinitely better than NONE.
In addition, it bothers me not at all for persons who are propagating
rare plants to make some money from it, at least to offset some of the
expense for materials, equipment, and time. I'm glad to see their talents
used in such a manner. Perhaps free plants for all could be the goal
within some horticultural Nirvana, but I don't think that we're
particularly close to that situation at this point in history.
With regard to tissue culture, at least it preserves the complete
genome of one clone. Seed production from different clones is better, but
once again, tissue culture is infinitely better than NOTHING. One drawback
to seed production is the loss of variability through self-pollination (not
a problem with dioecious plants like Nepenthes). For self-fertile plants,
this might actually be inferior to tissue culture for conservation purposes.

Brian