(no subject)

Andreas Wistuba (A.Wistuba@DKFZ-Heidelberg.DE)
Fri, 7 Jan 1994 17:14:15 GMT+1

> These questions can be addressed quite nicely by having a photo of the
> plants in habitat, and even with a few admiring humans in the shot
> too. Andreas, we both (if I remember your introduction correctly)
> enjoy nature photography, and I my personal aesthetics rebel against
> the safari type shot for the reasons above. The photos in quality
> nature magazines never have to fall back on showing plants held by
> humans, and they still convey the appropriate information.

The more I think about the theme the more I agree with you! However
never underestimate the luck and pride you feel when you're
dreaming of a certain plant for years and then you've finally found it.
These are the situations creating pictures like those. In fact I never
would call a shot like this a nature photo or very aesthetic. And for
myself I would not send the photo of myself being published with the
Heli in '90 or '89 (I'm not sure about the exact date) to CPN today
anymore for aesthetical reasons and the obvious parallel with a photo
of an animal with it's hunter shot on a safari.
The only thing I wanted to explain is that a photo like the ones we're
talking about not neccessarily means that the photographer later
treats nature like garbage in just using a living being for a photograph
and later throwing it away.

By the way:
I do not think the plant which has been collected by William Baumgartl
is H. ionasii. The type of H. ionasii has very prominent hair (up to
5mm) in the upper part of the pitchers mouth. Further the pitchers are
almost trumpet-like in the upper part while the plant collected by
William Baumgartl has quite slender, erect pitchers and very short hair.
I think it's exactly the Heliamphora pictured in Charles Brewer-Carias'
Book: The Lost World of Venezuela and its Vegetation (If anyone is
interested I'll look for the ISBN) which was photographed on Tramen
Tepui. In fact Tramen and Ilu have the same Base and are only distinct
peaks of the same mountain.

Jan, what's your opinion about this?

> >Can anybody help me regarding the following problem:
> >Since mid of 1992 I do not receive CPN anymore though I paid both for
> >1992 and 1993 (For 1993 even twice).
>
> Andreas, I can help you on this one (and perhaps not offend you while
> I'm at it!). First, Leo is a great guy but rarely has the time to answer
> email and snail-mail (normal mail). I know him, and the only way to contact
> him is either by visiting him or talking to him on the phone. But I also
> know that I can determine the status of your ICPS membership by calling
> Steve Baker who handles distribution. If you email to me a list of the
> people who seem to be having trouble getting CPN, I could find out from
> Steve what their status is (i.e. not on the mailing list, etc). If you
> send me your mailing address I could check that too. I should have the
> reply ready for you monday, as long as I can track Steve down.

Dear Barry,

thank you very much for your offer of helping us with our problems
regarding CPN.

At the moment we try to get all the names via a note in the german
CPS-journal ("Das Taublatt"). The people I know personally are:

-Holger Hennern
-The German CPS (GFP) library
-Eric Schlosser (He meanwhile quit his subscription after having had
these problems for some time)
-and myself

Another friend of mine Thomas Carow had the same prosome time
ago but meanwhile he seems to be accepted by CPN again as he gets
his issues at the moment.

I've heared that there are even more people but I've to ask at the
GFP-secretaries for the names.

Any help would be great as it's a stupid situation paying for CPN and
then having to borrow it from friends for reading.

Thankyou

Andreas