Re: Outdoor greenhouse & flowering nepenthes

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 12:58:36 PST

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 15:58:36 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Outdoor greenhouse & flowering nepenthes

This year's winter here in Memphis, Tn, has been rather harsh. For the past
few years we have had very mild winters. Since October, we have had cold dark
days and frigid clear nights. Dark days keep the sunlight from heating the
greenhouse during the day, and clear nights allow the outside temperatures to
plummet. In years past, a 200 gallon propane tank would have only needed to
be refilled once, and would have only cost me $200-$250 per year. This year I
have already filled the tank 3 times, at a cost of about $600. Energy prices
are much higher this year, making matters that much worse. Oh well, I guess
we were due. Maybe the extreme cold will keep the damaging insects in check
this spring.

Anyways, some of you were wanting updates as to which of my Nepenthes were in
flower. Besides my oddball spathulata x maxima that is flowering
continuously, the other neps in flower right now are the following. The
plants with unknown sexes are due to the flowers not yet opening.

N. maxima's (12 plants of different varieties sexes not known yet)
N. sanguinea (3 purple variety plants 1 plant female others not yet known)
N. ventricosa (1 red variety male)
N. alata (2 green varieties male)
N. bongso (3 plants unknown sexes)

I normally have a couple of species in flower at any given time, with quite a
few plants flowering twice each year. The month of July normally sees the
most flowering activity. I'll update the list about every 2 months with the
species in flower.
Michael Catalani