Re: Mexican ping temps

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 01:37:41 PST

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:37:41 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mexican ping temps

Chris,

> Since the topic of Mexican pings seems to be under enthusiastic
>discussion, I figured now would be a good time to throw in my
>question. I have been discussing with other Mexican ping growers
>the cold tolerance of the different species. Until now, I've been
>growing all of mine indoors under lights, always treating them
>more like tropicals. However, many people have mentioned that their
>plants are able to withstand below freezing temps. I'd be interested
>in hearing from other growers on what their experience is with temps
>and Mexican pings. Thanks in advance!

Most (though not all) Mexican Pinguicula species grow at fairly high
altitudes. It is likely therefore that they are subject to short periods
of frost, particularly during the winter months.

In cultivation this would also seem to be the case. I have occasionally
accidentally allowed the greenhouse where my plants grow to drop below
freezing with no problems. I would not recommend longer periods of
freezing though. I usually aim to keep the greenhouse at a winter
minimum of 5C.

Also I suspect that even if the frost itself doesn't kill the plant
there is an increased danger of the plant rotting. Many Pinguiculas
produce tiny hairs in the centres of their winter rosettes. In their
native habitat these hairs trap tiny amounts of moisture from early
morning mists in the mountains. Thus the plants are able to derive small
amounts of moisture in an otherwise arid environment. In cultivation
trapping moisture in the centre of the plant is likely to spell death
unless you are able to maintain very good air circulation as well.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
Web Site: www.pwilson.demon.co.uk