Re: Mexican ping temps

From: Walter Hafner (hafner@ze.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 01:01:25 PST

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:01:25 +0100 (CET)
From: Walter Hafner <hafner@ze.tu-muenchen.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mexican ping temps

Hi Chris,

> Since the topic of Mexican pings seems to be under enthusiastic
> discussion, I figured now would be a good time to throw in my
> question. I have been discussing with other Mexican ping growers
> the cold tolerance of the different species. Until now, I've been
> growing all of mine indoors under lights, always treating them
> more like tropicals. However, many people have mentioned that their
> plants are able to withstand below freezing temps. I'd be interested
> in hearing from other growers on what their experience is with temps
> and Mexican pings. Thanks in advance!

I only grow very few CP species, but have P. moranensis under consistent
cultivation for about 10 years now. I find it very easy to grow. Apart
from winter I have some plants on my window sill (east) and some on my
balcony (east, soo - direct sunlight till about 1 PM). The window sill
plants get very large - about 15 cm in diameter - and the leaves are
pure green. The plants on the balcony are smaller, become quite red
in summer and the leaves dry up and shrivel occasionally. They are
growing more slowly, too. Obviously, the plants don't like direct
sunlight. I live in Germany, summer temperature is about 25 deg
Celsius. I'd take them inside, if I only had the space. :-)

However, all of them flower about 10 months per year and I only very
seldom have shriveled flowers.

I keep the plants quite wet in summer. Medium is a mix of Seramis, peat
and ordinary plant soil. I find that P. moranensis takes a little
additional fertilized soil very well.

I winter I place them at a large cellar window (west) and water them
less.

One word about freezing temperatures: P. MORANENSIS IS DEFINITELY NOT
FROST RESISTENT!

Every few years my balcony plants die a horrible freezing death when I
forget to take them inside before the first autumn frost. Even
temperatures in the 4-6 deg Celsius range harm the plants!

But since the plant is a weed, i don't have problems with that. I
propagate them from leaf cuttings and nearly all of them start growing,
even without any additional hormone treatment etc.

Hope this helps.

-Walter