RE: New cp?

From: john green (thegreens13@juno.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 09:02:35 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:02:35 -0500 (EST)
From: john green <thegreens13@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: New cp?

Chris Teichreb [mailto:cteichreb@hotmail.com] wrote:

> In the local paper they run a column called "News of the Weird",
>essentially strange but true stories of the world around us.
>Anyways, this Sunday's issue had one brief mention of a new
>carnivorous plant discovered in Florida. I quote:
>
> "...And three weeks later near Lake Okeechobee, a University
>of Florida biologist discovered what he called an "evolutionary
>relic," a previously unknown, carnivorous, flowering plant that
>grows entirely underground but by photosynthesis."
>
> Now, I have a feeling my leg is being pulled on this one,
>especially the part about photosynthesis without light. However,
>I am curious if anyone can positively confirm or deny this fact.
>I've yet to go to the U of F site to see if I can find this
>'biologist'.

I remember hearing about this sometime last spring, so the story has been
around for a while. I checked out the complete article and it basically
sounded like someone found a Utric that wasn't previously known in that
particular area maybe, but the fool who wrote the article was definitely
going for sensationalism. If I remember correctly, the article even
contains this shocker: "the stems grow up and the roots grow down," -
imagine that!! The part about photosynthesis underground was supposedly
possible because of the clear white sand it grows in.

John Green john.green@ascensus.com
Salt Lake City, Utah
http:\\homestead.juno.com\thegreens13